As we live in Thailand, one of the things I ponder, and sometimes struggle with, is normality, or lack thereof. We don't live completely like Thais and we don't live completely like Americans. We're just different. As it's summertime, my friend Crystal and I have been enjoying taking our kids to the pool several times in the last couple of weeks. It gives us a lovely feeling of normality as we enjoy sitting at the pool with our children, and swimming is the only outdoor activity you can really do during the hot season, so it's great for all of us. We usually go to the pool at the King's park. It's a wonderful pool, but has some interesting rules, like the one that says all females must wear a swim cap (hence Emmy above). Today we went with our friend Jan to the pool at the school where her kids attend (no swim caps required), and it was a good morning of talking with friends and watching our kids play.At lunchtime we went together to eat. This is where I started to ponder the question of normality. Thinking of my former life, a lunch after a morning of swimming would probably mean loading up in the car and driving to CFA or somewhere similar. Here's what we did. Walked a quarter of a mile or so from the school in the blazing sun (weather.com said it was 97 degrees and felt like 109- I believe it) to a string of outdoor stands. Sat around a folding table on red plastic stools (babies on our laps). The kids ate fried rice with chicken, I ate stir fried noodles with veggies, and we had fruit shakes and watermelon. While Asa and I waited our turn at the fruit stand, some women took an interest in him, as usual ("I'll take the farang baby; put him in a bag"). It was crazy hot, but the stand was covered and the food was really good. Then we walked back to the school, hailed a taxi (our car is still in the shop), and came home (2 adults and 5 children in the taxi). I just had to laugh as I sat sweating, feeding Asa bites of rice on my lap, at the contrast between this life and what might otherwise be.
5 comments:
Rhianna this is so funny. For me reading this on the other side...your day seems like the "normal" day. Everything I do here now I compare to there and feel abnormal. Even Gracyn does the comparing. Everything we do is, "in Thailand.....I miss Thailand." "I miss our old house....I want to go to ICS...I like khao mun gai...." I miss our goldfish...can we go back and get him?" Have fun!
When you get back here in August, to help your transition to life in the U.S., perhaps we could walk to Chick-fil-A. :) I'm sure it'll be plenty hot here in August, but unfortunately, there won't be any refreshing fruit drinks readily available. A Chick-fil-A milkshake might suffice. However, you could probably feed your entire family there for what a milkshake here will cost! :)
I'm sure it is tricky navigating two worlds and cultures, but I pray that you can enjoy and appreciate the best of both worlds. Love you guys!
My daughter in law from Lawrencevill.Ga. sent me your site. My family lived in Bangkok 12 years ago and I have enjoyed your sharing of your family and the many wonderful memories that it has stirred in me.
Psalm 32
When I first saw the photo of Emmy in the swim cap, I thought you were just protecting that gorgeous hair of hers. :-) She looks like she's just finished an olympic race (except for the water wings). Your descriptions of daily life are just facinating - some of it exotic and foreign, and other things that sound much like my days. I love it. Thanks for sharing these glimpses.
Wow, still no car, huh? I'll be praying for that to get fixed soon if it isn't already. It sounds like you are making some good memories despite the obstacles. The things we will do to have fun with our kids! You go, Mommy! That food does sound a lot more appetizing than fast food over here, I have to admit. :)
Post a Comment