This is a group of friends from Berry, our beloved alma mater. I shared years in Friendship Hall with all of these girls. Two weekends ago, we celebrated Mountain Day, which falls on the first weekend of October every year and is a celebration of the birthday of the school's founder, Martha Berry. It's also a celebration of dear friendships and giving thanks for all God has done. I'm still amazed that I got to go to this school, and am so thankful to count these folks among my friends. College friends are so easy; we find that even when we're separated by time and distance (say, the other side of the world...), coming back together is natural and very low pressure. I love these girls, and so many others we were with that day.The last two months since we've been in the States have epitomized transition for me. To feel that we're home yet everything is so different in our lives, to have the opportunity to be with so many we love from different periods in our lives (including our Thailand world, with our recent visitors...), to know that we'll be transitioning again so soon and considering the future- it's all been a roller coaster emotionally. The fact that this time is temporary serves to make it both sweet and bitter. And of course, pregnancy does nothing to calm one's emotional ups and downs, to say the least!
One "world" we're relishing being a part of right now is our Intown world- the church we've been privileged to be a part of for 10 years and that God has used so mightily in our lives. This weekend we're celebrating Intown's 25 year anniversary, and there was a "celebration" tonight that was a true joy- I laughed so hard, then cried, especially during the music. This song, particularly, has always been a comfort to me, and I loved singing the words tonight as we walk through this transition...
Time is filled with swift transition; naught on earth unmoved can stand.
Build your hope on things eternal, hold to God's unchanging hand.
Trust in Him who will not leave you, whatsoever years may bring.
If by earthly friends forsaken, still more closely to Him cling.
Trust not in this world's vain riches that so rapidly decay.
Seek to gain the heavenly treasure that will never pass away...
Hold to His hand, God's unchanging hand, hold to His hand, God's unchanging hand.
Build your hope on things eternal, hold to God's unchanging hand.
God is so good to be close and to be unchanging as the sand shifts all around us.
And now back to the Mountain Day pictures...
Brea and me with our baby bellies. Believe it or not, she's two weeks ahead of me! I like to think these two are buddies already...
And one of the highlights of our day was stopping at the Moon Building on our way out for Daddy to throw a pot. He spent many, many, many hours here (while the rest of us were writing papers!) It was fun for the kids to see him throw, and good for my soul to see his hands in the clay again, doing something he's so gifted to do. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago that we said goodbye to Berry...engaged and ready to see what life would hold. It's been a great adventure so far, and we hold with faith to the belief that God will be unchanging whatever the next 10 years may bring.
5 comments:
amen, glad to hear you are holding to the Father's unchanging hand. Glad for this encouragement...and I LOVE the pic of Tim throwing some clay! That must have been so great for your kids to see. You and Brea look great...and don't be so hard on yourself...YOU'RE PREGNANT!!! Enjoy it. =)
love you,
crystal
Boy do I understand the emotions. I hope that you are getting some rest in the whirlwind. You are very blessed with so many good things and I'm glad you are getting to indulge.
What a beautiful song. I don't know that I've heard it before - is it an Intown regular? Have I just not been paying attention?
I'm totally jealous of the love you have for you college. I met some wondeful friends during my college years, but I don't have any strong feelings about my school. I also love the photo of Tim throwing the pot with the kids looking on. How cool to spend hours there instead of staring at a computer screen!
That was beautiful, Rhi. That was definitely one of those days when I wished I could freeze time for a bit. God has been faithful and good all these 10 years. I am thankful that God's plan has allowed us to share worlds and friends both in college and beyond. That's been very special to me...and He's even allowed me to experience a little taste of your world in Bangkok! We'll all keep holding to His unchanging hand, here and wherever God calls us. Love you!
Great post...glad to see Tim doing what he used often as illustration in his sermons. Will keep praying as you seek the strength of the One that does not change and who offers to be our strong support daily.
Post a Comment