Tuesday, October 14, 2008

East Meets West

Two weeks ago we had the fun of seeing some of our friends from across the world here in Atlanta. Three of our Thai teammates came with our team leader for a meeting in Atlanta, then went on to some other cities for church visits. It was fun to see their first glimpses of America and hear their impressions. When asked what she thought of our fair city, Yu said, "I think wow! Just wow!"...

Pat gave us a beautiful bag made by the Akha people from his home in northern Thailand. Asa took quite a shine to it and has used it for Dog storage, among other things.

Pat with two of his favorite "farang" (foreigner) kids. They were all happy to see us, but I think even more delighted to see our children. They all thought Asa was thinner; not enough rice, I suppose.

Our family and our friends the Cunninghams took them to the Coke museum to introduce them to some real Atlanta culture. We found this Thai ad, which they thought was hilarious, especially the crazy dancers in the background doing the monkey dance (sadly, not a traditional Thai dance). The add says "Drink Coca Cola- Adds the Fun Every Time".

Cases of Coke being transported by elephants- feels like home!

Emmy and her dear friend Gracyn enjoying some refreshment at the end of the museum...this is an area where you can sample Coke products from all over the world, and you must be really careful or you'll leave with a serious tummy ache!

We took them to Mary Mac's Tea Room for a good southern lunch (which, sadly, they found to be very bland...they were really missing Thai food), and we celebrated Tim's birthday with peach cobbler. Even though it went by in a blur, happy birthday, dear Timbo!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Happy Birthday, Tim! Rats, I really meant to remember it this time.

I always order my Thai food as mild as possible and wonder how in the world someone could tolerate it any hotter. No wonder your friends think our food is bland! I'm just surprised they haven't burnt off all their taste buds at this point.

Lisa said...

What a great taste of American culture! I love Mary Macs too. My dad works just a couple of minutes from there so we have been many times over the years. Happy birthday to Tim! : )
On another note, I was looking through some old college pictures the other day and found some of Heirway. It was fun to see you two and think about how much life has changed for us all over the past 10or 12 years. I'm glad we're still in touch!