Before the pictures, I have to share our favorite Emmy-ism from this morning. We've just finished reading Little House in the Big Woods with her, and she got quite an education in the reality of using animals for food. So this morning I was cooking bacon for breakfast and she walked downstairs and declared, "I smell pig body!"... How's that for an appetite enhancer?
Last weekend we went to a mountainous area about 4 hours northwest of Bangkok for our annual retreat with students from our English program. It was great fun for all, and definitely furthered the goal of sharing our lives. Thai people really love to play, so much of the weekend was full of the kind of games, skits and music you might imagine happening at a college retreat, but there were adults of all ages involved and having a great time. We also had two teams from the U.S. here helping, and that was a real treat. The setting was lovely- the misty mountains and River Kwai flowing by just over our little balcony.
Here's the whole group...if you look closely you can tell that many of the Thais are making peace signs with their fingers, which is standard photo etiquette!
Emmy had a grand time. She had some friends there to play with, and tromped around the mushy wet grounds in her rain boots like a little explorer. She has several times in the past week lamented the fact that we can't live at English Camp. She looks so grown up in this picture!
Here's Asa with his buddy Joshua, who is the son of our teammates Chai and Pawn. He's about a month younger than Asa. He's riding on his grandmother's back in this picture...and he is so cute!
Asa did quite a bit of riding around himself this weekend, in the sling that dear Gwen made for me before he was born and I'm still using all the time. He didn't feel completely well, so the sling was a good, snug place for him. He seems to be irresistable to everyone from friends to restaurant workers, and he frequently gets carried off when we're out and about. Usually he doesn't mind, but it was harder this weekend because he didn't feel great, and I think he's becoming a bit more attached to Mommy.
I had to include this picture, even though it's not great quality, because it shows what a handsome little boy he's turning into! On a side note, he's begun saying "mama" a lot more. I don't think he attaches it to me, but I take it quite personally nonetheless...
And finally, Tim trying his best to defy gravity. There was a ropes course that involved walking on wires and bamboo rafts and such and lots of submersion in a murky brown pond. I don't think it would pass muster with the American Association of Ropes Courses, or whoever out there regulates these things for the safety- and health-conscious. Tim finally succumbed to the inevitable, along with all the other poor souls who braved the course. Carrying a baby automatically exempts you, lucky me!
6 comments:
Oh, that picture of Asa sitting up in his chair with his polo shirt makes him look SO BIG and handsome! I think he looks like you in that picture, Rhi.
The pictures of the retreat setting are lovely! I'm so glad everyone had a great time!
we had pig body for b'fast this morning! i will never look at bacon the same! :) looks like a fantastic retreat...so exciting to see that group photo....and the one of tim about to fall into that water!
thanks so much for sharing the photos of the retreat, since our church was one of the groups that attended and I really wished I could have been there!
helen
Pig Body.... that made my day! Having a three year old must be so much fun. I look forward to it. I think Anne Marie tells jokes right now. Unfortunately for us, she's the only one that understands them. :) We all laugh heartily anyway.
Reminds me of the ropes course at Winshape! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy reading about your adventures!
PIG BODY?! Oh my heavens. I'm always trying to convince myself that bacon (as well as other assorted meaty favorites) grow on trees and aren't really connected to animals in any way. Thanks a lot, Emmy. :-)
Love, love, LOVE the picture of Asa in the blue shirt. Wow, what a cutie! And Emmy does look so grown up in her braids. Make sure to tell her lots of stories about me so she doesn't forget!
Post a Comment