This pretty much epitomizes our search for a new home in this fair city; something large enough for our family, able to squeeze into our budget, and capable of meeting various and sundry other needs. I know we have so much and that our cares are small in relation to those of so many; we are just waiting to see what will be provided for us.
Perhaps this fellow, too, has been house hunting in Bangkok and just cannot take it any more...
We have a couple of strong possibilities of apartments in a very 'lively' (a quote from a friend that I thought summed it up well) area of town. Hopefully we'll know more later in the week. Another quirky sign Tim encountered in the many long days of search...
I don't know about jumping, but they certainly excel at flying furtively about and then disappearing swiftly when pursued.
Thinking of home, as we prepare, once again, for home to indwell a different space. I grew up remembering only two houses that were home. It's a grace that I married a person who remembers many homes, each with distinct goodness and the overarching love of family. If Tim is any indication, a transient lifestyle can be done with excellence and stability and to the glory of God. As we stand on the brink of another change, I ruminate on the ideas of home put forth in a longstanding favorite book on this subject...
The dictionary tells us that home is the place where we live, whether we are single, married, young or old. Further, it says that home is the place we are at ease. What is a tree without its roots held deeply in the soil? What is a cup without its saucer? What are letters if they aren't put into words and sentences? What is a child's life like if there is no home and no family to belong to?
Making a home that is a joy, comfort, and encouragement is one of the most important things anyone can do. The home is the basic building block of society. Home also shapes the individuals who comprise it- for good or for ill. We all need stability of the right sort. Picture your everyday life as a tree, with your home as the roots. Roots are a priority for a tree. A home is a priority for life. Another important point is that there are many varieties of homes. In fact, there is no one model.
- For the Family's Sake, Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
Yes, there is no one model. A dirt road in Georgia or a congested street in Bangkok, home is where our God takes us and where He dwells with us.
And home is where our family is. In the midst of anticipation of all of these changes, home life continues on unabated and full of moments of small joy. A bit about this little guy...
- A recent checkup informed us that he is now at the 25th percentile for weight! (50th for height) This caused much rejoicing for a mommy who fretted for so long about a baby and toddler with eczema and allergies who was very nearly falling off the bottom of the growth chart!
- He is in the stage where he soaks up information like a sponge and puts forth his thoughts with astonishing cuteness. He speaks Thai without a hint of shyness and knows many basic phrases as well as words and colors. I love to tell him things like, "You are precious to me", because he often answers back, "You are precious to me, also", with great seriousness.
- His grin remains adorable and infectious. And sometimes we see that dimple!
- At dinner we often talk about 'highlights' and 'lowlights' of each of our days. A recent highlight for Ju? A trip to the park and riding the paddle boats. A lowlight? Much thinking, then a pensive face..."monsters". A lowlight indeed!
And a few photos of a recent after-dinner puppet show, with puppets hailing from India and sweet, creative puppeteers...








5 comments:
Loved this post, Rhianna. It sums up well what I'm feeling now as I'm preparing to move. I'm more like you where I haven't moved as much, so I'm learning how to put roots down but also to have an open mind to how long those roots stay there! I'll be praying for your home search and your new roots!!!
We will certainly pray for the Lord's leading in finding your next home. I have prayed already tonight. I can remember Jack and I walking up and down sois on Sukhumvit looking at apartment after apartment. It was a very hot and tiring search accompanied by many a Slurpee for refreshment. I have so many fond memories of our downtown apartments. I know you will too. Praying that you get settled soon.
So happy to hear of Ju's coming up on the charts! A blessing for a Mama's heart! He is just so cute!
Hey there Rhianna! I've been following your blog on and off and seeing a bit of what goes on in your part of the world through this small window. :) I can totally understand you and what you're going through right now as also had to go through finding housing here after a couple of HMAs, the most recent being this past December. As if being bounced around through travels on the road wasn't hard enough, then we finally make it to the field only to have to endure the frustrating process of searching/finding/applying/being approved to rent an abode to call "home"! Praying for comfort and faith and trust for you all, with a big hug too! Missed seeing you at the Area Retreat in October (we were there even though we were on HMA as we were in much need of a vacation/spiritual refreshing!). Claudia from Sydney, Australia
Precious Julian! Yea for his bigness! Love, love the puppet show. And I think I need to order that book. Is that the one I borrowed from you ages ago?
Reading this post refreshed my spirit. It is good to be reminded of God's purposes in giving us homes, as it can often feel like just so much work and unending chaos. But God is dwelling with us, as you said, and working in us, wherever we reside.
I continue to pray for you on this journey of trusting in God's provision, and as you seek His wisdom in making your home and family what He desires it to be.
I'm so thankful to hear that Julian is doing well. Please kiss him for me!
Love ya'll very much!
Post a Comment