Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Out and About

Ju's wild ride

On a recent outing to the Bangkok Arts and Cultural Center, we had the opportunity to view an exhibition of fantastical photographs from a French artist, explore issues of aboriginal history in Australia and enjoy art created in honor of the king of Thailand. Our little aficionados persevered with the hope of a treat when we finished, and all were able to enjoy the exhibits, particularly the mind-bending photos from France.
Afterward our littlest man begged for a tuk tuk ride...

 enjoying some street life

...and we ended up at this fine establishment for a dinner of somtam (spicy papaya salad), grilled chicken, and that old standby, fried rice.

considering the somtam

We're enjoying this current stage when we can all get out a bit more and soak up the good and the interesting about our city. Not easy to do, but what fun, really, and I think pretty good memories can be made with a mixture of art galleries and street food. And I didn't even mention the roti we enjoyed for dessert, made by a sweet lady from Myanmar. Colleen, chocolate sauce abounded, and I was reminded of a long ago adventure in Chiang Mai!

6 comments:

Christi said...

I absolutely love that first photo. And the food sounds (and looks) fabulous. Yum!

Crystal said...

What a GREAT day! I am looking forward to having older kids this term and getting around a bit easier, too. =) And, Adele has been talking about Emmy a lot lately...she can't wait to "meet" her again. She calls her Emma, though! It's very sweet. I am praying for you all...and can't wait to see you again!
love yah!
crystal

Kim said...

I LOVE Ju's wild ride! What a great image. Your art gallery, street fare day sounds amazing. You had me at Som Tam.

Anonymous said...

How precious to spend these moments with you all! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. It is WONDERFUL to see you. Can't wait to tell Papa Jeff, "Blog Alert!" Love and hugs to you four! Granna

Brea said...

What a great family outing! It is (or must be) so nice to be at a point when you can enjoy the freedom to get out with everyone! So glad you are enjoying all the good things your city has to offer!

Christy said...

So your kids will eat spicy papaya salad??? This is crazy talk.