There's nothing prettier than food just the way God made it, is there? This was the result of yesterday's foray to the market. Our market is a large open air (roofed) affair, selling everything from meat (admittedly, I still close my olfactory system when I near the warm piles of meat), to produce, to prepared food (fresh plate of cashew nut chicken?), to fruit shakes, to flowers, to clothes, to mosquito rackets. We have more western style grocery stores, which are often convenient because you need to go there to buy your pasta, etc. However, the market always lures me back with its heat and colors and smells. I love it because:
1- it's less expensive, 2- you really can't beat the bananas, 3- it's full of neat people who are making their living selling their wares and are often ready to smile and make conversation, 4- you can pick up an iced coffee, and 5- it's just more interesting than a grocery store.
So I make my way there with my Trader Joe's bag and fill it with beauty, careful on the wet tile and cement, stepping over the occasional cat, enjoying interacting with the people along the way. When the woman helped me load my watermelon, bananas and pomelo into my bag, she said, "Thailand is hot but that's why we have such delicious fruit!" True, true!
I've not yet acclimated to the point that I buy our meat and fish here, and I don't know if I'll ever buy the eels or frogs...:)

3 comments:
Lovely, indeed!
Just caught up on your blog. Market sounds wonderful! I'd love to see some of those eels and frogs! I'm with you...not sure I could actually eat them. :) I hope little Julian's allergy issues become clearer and y'all can help get him fully well. Love and miss you guys!
Personally, my favorite bit is that you step over cats while you shop. Joy!
Post a Comment