Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bits and Pieces

Much life happening all the time, as is true of all of us. These are some snippets gathered from recent pictures, which I hope will continue in our purpose of sharing just a slice of family life with those we love far away. I'm not in any sort of organized frame of mind, but felt it was time to get on with letting loved ones see these little ones. So to that end...

These have been sitting around for a bit. A number of months ago, Em asked to have her ears pierced. Thinking perhaps this was just a passing thing ("Do you know that it's a bit painful?"), we told her we'd wait until Christmas to see how she felt then, and perhaps it could be a gift. Two days before Christmas, she reminded us, with her desire still strong, so on Christmas Eve we all set out with her to embark on yet another milestone in her sweet little life...
Choosing...

Preparing, feeling apprehensive...

Here we go!

And done. Eyes a little teary, but feeling very accomplished. I really couldn't get over how sweet and growing up she looked(s).

I also found these, from a trip the week after Christmas to Khao Yai, the national park we love that's about three hours north of Bangkok. Hiking and being together surrounded by all of that natural beauty- a breath of fresh air in the truest sense of the word.

We made a really fun memory that evening. Because we were staying overnight, we were still in the park at dusk. That's when you have the greatest chance of seeing elephants, so we were on the lookout. We had the windows down and were meandering along in the car. Being cool season, and being north of Bangkok, we found that it was getting quite chilly with the wind blowing through! So we wrapped ourselves in blankets and reveled in the unusual experience of being cold. It was delightful.

And, more recently...
reading

wild play with good friends

Something fun that grandparents will love: I came across this bit of creative writing in a school notebook that came home recently:

"Hiss, spit!" goes the mother cat. The stranger flees with terror. He has not harmed a whisker. God protects his children. He protects us like the mother cat protects her kittens. -Emmy

And here's our little deep thinker, showing off her latest tooth that is just about to make its exit. Why, yes, she is from Georgia. Why do you ask?

Oh, and another fun thing- on Sunday, after the offering at church, Em leaned over to me and asked, "Mommy, how do they get the money up to God?"

Okay, one more. This morning before school we were heading outside, and Emmy turned by the gate, smiling. I inquired about her smile, and she responded, "I'm just so happy that you're my mommy and daddy." I don't want to forget that. It's not always so sunshine and roses, to be sure, but when it is, we just bask and thank God.

My very favorite moment with this precious guy recently was when I came home last week from doing morning carpool and found him at the door in his skimmies, flexing his muscles and kissing each bicep. It made my day, and my week, and my month. Here he's wearing his daddy's taekwando shirt from long ago days in Korea, when he was just the same age as Asa. Sweet.

And this is the way he's spending his rest times these days, legomaniac that he is becoming...

This little man is Two, in all its glory. I heard him today wandering around, talking to no one in particular, saying, "No. Nope. No ma'am..."

These days, Ju is a 'Jingle Bells' man- all the way. When I put him to bed at night, and we're all snuggly and ready to rock and sing, I like to begin in on a sweet lullaby or a beautiful hymn, but he always interjects, "No! Jingle Bells!" So Jingle Bells it is. Every day and every night. Just in the last couple of days he's begun to sing along with gusto, which brightens up the exercise greatly. "HEY!"

(You can see in the photo above that he's scratching. When he saw this picture, he said, "scratch". Scratching is very much a part of his regular existence, bless his heart.)

And a little bit outside of our four walls...I've actually had the opportunity to spend some time with our college group recently. We decided that I'd go along on a trip to a not-too-far-away beach a few weeks ago and get to know some of these folks better (which is generally Tim's forte). They are really fun and zany, and we're encouraged to see the community and family forming within this group and around the life of the church.

on the street in Pattaya

I just included this one because it's pretty...leaving the island at Pattaya.

a recent gathering at our house

And finally, a quote from Frederick Buechner, from a book I'm reading, because it relates so beautifully to the way I so often feel about these moments and days...

"Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness; touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, all life itself is grace."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for these postings. Has been great to see you growing in your ability to minister here in Thailand. You have been a blessing to this team. Love the Buechner quote...have a collection of his books at our house if you want to borrow any.

Christy said...

I love this post! I am overwhelmed that Emmy has her ears pierced. She is so beautiful and precious and her writing is just UNBELIEVABLE. Asa kissing his bicepts may make my day as well. And your Ju practing his "No"s is just perfect.

The quote at the end is so lovely and deep and touching. What's the book?

Kim said...

Awesome post! So many, many things to love. I think my favorite is the tooth! So funny.

Christi said...

Wow. Awesome ending quote. Like Christy asked, from what book did it come?

And I LOVE catching up with your lives. Such sweetness.

Brea said...

Thanks, Rhi for sharing some recent highlights. When we come back to Thailand I definitely want to go to Khao Yai, and we must see elephants!

I am awed by Emmy's prose; truly incredible! The boys are precious as ever, and I am impressed with Asa's lego creations!

Love you all! Can't wait to see you all (relatively) soon!

LaNell said...

There you go again. Putting words to what I've been mulling. Or rather, allowing Frederick Buechner to do the job. Thanks Rhi. I love you so much! You enjoy your family so well!