We said goodbye, finally, by giving away our kitty litter and cat food today. Our sweet *Khao Meow, who was a New Year's Day gift to us a year ago (a gift from God, that is, in the form of a stray kitten wandering at a friend's pool), is officially gone. We had him for a really good 11 months, and one day back in November he wasn't here to greet us in the evening as was his faithful habit. We waited, prayed, asked neighbors and workers nearby, nobody had seen him. We made the sign (above) and posted copies in our neighborhood, still hoping that somehow he would come back to us. We have no idea what happened to him.Tim says that he is growing into a saintly cat in our memories, and I think this is true. He was an amazing kitty, patient with little hands, not destructive, a great lap dweller, but in our collective memories he has become something of feline perfection embodied. We still miss him; for me, it's sort of a slow grief that flares up at times and then subsides, and is, of course, lessening with time. I missed his presence a lot at Christmastime, knowing that he would have only enhanced all of that warmth and beauty. The kids still talk about him a great deal, and it's good to know he'll always be part of our family. So farewell, our dear Khao-ie.
*This obscure name is a play on the Thai word for sticky rice, which is 'khao niaw'...'niaw' rhymes with 'meow' :)
9 comments:
Rhi,
So sorry to hear about the mysterious disappearance of your beloved Khao Meow. Thanks for sharing.
I hope you are doing well. Lots of neat things happening here among our community of believers...God is at work. And, it's neat to see Him at work among you all there too. Continually in prayer for you all...
crystal
How sad about Khao Meow. I'm glad he lives on in your memories and will be a precious part of your children's lives and stories. I hope he comes home!
So sorry to hear about Khao Meow. I had a cat growing up that would disappear for very long stretches of time and then reappear one day tired and dirty. We'd nurse him back to prime condition and off he'd go again. This pattern lasted about 7 yrs. So there is still hope!
I'm so sorry, guys. Khao Meow looked like a sweet kitty and I'm glad you all got to enjoy him for a time, and that he got to enjoy being your family's beloved kitty.
Dear Emmy I'm sorry to hear about your sweet kitty I hope he comes home if he does not come maybe hes in good hands love you, Claire (:
Hi Emmy how are you?do you miss your kitty.It is raining here do you like rain? I don't because you can't go out side because its to wet! Rain rain go away come back another
day come back on Sunday! Emmy I miss you so much it's hard with out you . Today my friend told her brother and his friends that I was the shortest in my class and they all laughed When I saw them looking at me I started to cry that morning I had told my friend that I did not like being the shortest in my class I told her not to tell any one. It really hurt my feelings. I wish you were here so we cold stand up to them . I love you
Love,
Claire
I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Claire
I'm so sorry that Khao Meow went away. I do understand! Our Thai kitty also disappeared mysteriously. His name was Calvin and he was, indeed a proud Presbyterian.
Oh NO!!! I had no idea that precious kitty was missing. It's amazing how much we grow to love these little creatures. I'm so, so sorry.
Awesome sign, though.
Post a Comment