Monday, December 27, 2010

December

Before the year gets away from us, I have some pictures that have been accumulating in the last few weeks, many of which should not be withheld from grandparents...
Heading out to Em's school Christmas musical, where she sang with her classmates and displayed her writing and art- this was a really special evening, and her Daddy even accompanied her class on percussion, which delighted her. She was so lovely and excited this evening, and we truly longed for our parents to be able to accompany us.

playing 'pass Rudolph's nose' at Asa's preschool co-op Christmas party...


...and little brother was feeling quite festive at this event, as well!

I might interject a bit of reality into what is otherwise a display of all the most fun moments of the Christmas season...the morning above was memorable for me. The boys and I had two simultaneous events to attend, we were late, both boys were wailing (probably for lack of maternal attention as I frantically made lunches, gathered games, cookies, swimsuits, etc.), and we were finally buckled in and headed down the street. I stopped at the end of the street to turn, and saw, to my great sadness and consternation, my favorite Christmas plate, full of my favorite Christmas cookies (whose key ingredient has to be brought from the States), come careening from the top of the car (where I had placed it when buckling boys in), over the windshield, over the hood, and smash dramatically on the hot, dirty street. Of course, I irrationally knelt, through blinding frustration, and picked up every shard I could find and later subjected my patient Tim to the fruitless task of trying to piece it back together. When his hands were sufficiently matted with super glue and it became apparent that it was a hopeless task, the shards were disposed of and the whole thing was laid to rest. I think there are numerous morals to this story, mostly related to my idealism and lack of patience, alas!

The men of the church's holiday outing...nothing says "Merry Christmas" quite like a trip to the local bowling alley!


We began a marathon of events last weekend with a very high energy, packed neighborhood party at the church...
...a bit of a non-traditional Christmas dinner...

...beautiful Thai dancing...

...a nativity with university students as the principal players...

...and, of course, sweets!

The next evening we had the fun of sharing fellowship and the story of Christmas with Emmy's classmates and their families...


Sunday was a beautiful morning of welcoming new members into the church, seeing God's faithfulness in growing His body here in our corner of Bangkok.

And it was a very special day for our family, when our Emmy took the step of joining the church to become a communing member. She professed her faith in and desire to follow Jesus almost a year ago exactly at the dinner table, and this was a further step in her journey of faith and maturity. We are so thankful to God for His work in her life.

Ju and his buddy Charin jamming after church.


And we rounded out last weekend by enjoying an evening with our neighbors- eating, playing, coloring and sharing the story of Christmas.
"Come, celebrate Christmas with our family"




Out for Japanese with our church staff.

And, finally, we took a little jaunt downtown last week to look at lights- some of the downtown malls and hotels do themselves up fabulously for the holidays, primarily the New Year. This was a treat, as we generally aren't surrounded by even a hint of outward Christmas display in the part of Bangkok where we live. It was a very fun and festive evening, even as the perspiration rolled down my back as we trekked the crowded streets...quite a contrast to Georgia's white Christmas!

And that, in a (coco)nutshell, is our tropical Christmas.

4 comments:

Kim said...

You have been busy! This is a great post and we are so proud of Emmy and her communing membership! Thanks for a glimpse of all that is going on there. We enjoyed our White Christmas, but still hold dear the hot,sweaty ones too! :)

LaNell said...

Hey Rhi,
Sure sounds like a great Christmas. I loved the cookie story...Tim is so sweet to even try to put the pieces together again.
Your kids are precious! I just love hearing about them.

Crystal said...

another great post, Rhi! Beautiful pictures of beautiful people. It's wonderful to see God answering prayer for more men in the church....it just seems like a dream come true in some ways! I hope you all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. WE love you!

Christy said...

Your Emmy is just so, so lovely. I'm just overwhelmed that your little June Bug is a communing church member! Wow. Fantastic.

Thanks for sharing your plate story. Horrible that some of your famous cookes were tossed in the dirt! I love that sweet Tim coated himself in super glue in an attempt to save your plate. True love.