
Here's our big four year old with some birthday treasure.
He had a really great big day. Just a regular day at home (except I did take him and Ju to a park, where it was as hot as the Sahara, and I was fully reminded why we don't go to parks during the day!), and we had a family party at night. He wanted pancakes for supper and a ninja cake....

Here's what Tim came up with, red sparkly hot pants and all. Actually, Asa's request was "a ninja with a light saber practicing fighting". Nice work, Timbo!

Our sweet little man wanted to invite two of his grown up friends from church, so Yu (above) and Pat (below) came to celebrate with us. He's holding the awesome sword that Yu gave him. And do you see the ring on her hand? Asa made that for her as a party favor, with some materials out of a craft box. Oh my, he's so cute.


A very tired little pirate staying up for the party.

This was my favorite gift he received. Emmy wanted to get him Star Wars legos (he's fascinated with Star Wars, despite the fact that he's never laid eyes on the movies), but it just wasn't feasible for her seeing as how they cost an arm and a leg here. So we came up with the plan for her to make him a Star Wars coloring book, and it's really great, completely homegrown. He loved it!

What's really fun about this is that she did it all from memory of pictures she's seen, having never seen the movies, either.

In other Big Boy News, 4 years old has meant the beginning of a preschool co-op! Here he is on the first day, learning about the letter A, with my friend Lisa taking her turn as teacher.

And here's the whole co-op crew. They range in age from 3-5, and hail from New Zealand, Australia, the U.S., Sweden and Canada. This is a great blessing for us to get to be a part of. When I asked Asa how his first day was, his exact words were,
"I thought it would be really, really boring, but it was really, really, REALLY FUN!"
My recent birthday had me pondering scripture on perseverance. Thinking of how as a happily engaged college student, I tended to think of our wedding, being young and married, having little babies...but having second graders and being in our 30's was not so much on my mind. It's a good time, a time of realization of the fleeting nature of the days, a time to persevere in and savor the now, and to seek to look forward to all that's ahead. And it was a really yummy, albeit a bit wobbly, cake!
9 comments:
some of the best things in life are a little wobbly. :) happy birthday to you and asa!!
Happy birthday to you both! Asa is looking so big. He's changed since I saw him last, but he is a big four year old, after all! I love his assessment of preschool!
Happy birthday to the both of you! :)
Hi Rhianna, glad you found me! And you guys are great at celebrating i might add :) :) Prayers are so appreciated, and same for you. I'm trying my best to get over there while yall are still there...
oh, ha, and i just used a box mix but made 'em thicker (smaller pan) and timed it JUST right to leave 'em slightly gooey. I'll mail some:)
hey Rhi,
another great post from the Mills family! Loved everything, especially Emmy's Star Wars book. How cool! I will have to show that to PJ.
Please give ASA a very belated birthday hug and kiss. We miss you guys and are so thankful for your friendship. We're praying for you...
Blessings abound! Glad to see that God is providing so many things. A preschool co-op? WOW! That is great. Asa is such a big little guy now. Can't believe how fast they grow. And Happy Birthday to you, wobbly cake and all!
Happy, happy birthday to you both!!! The picture of Pirate Julian made me laugh out loud. How fun that he got to party late! Emmy's coloring book is so fabulous. I hope, once fully colored, it gets tucked away and treasured always.
Love that last photo.
I love to read your stories and get a little peak into your lives. What a sweet family you have! And I agree totally about that piece about perseverance! Keep at it!
Post a Comment