Thursday, April 01, 2010

Still Here



There's been quite a bit happening lately in this part of the world. Big political protests, but we've seen none of it up close. Our closest effect was that Emmy's school was canceled one day for fear of many students not being able to travel on the roads to school. If you're interested to read a bit of the latest, you can do so here And one of the more bizarre, bloody aspects can be read about here. All in all, things have been peaceful, and we're thankful for that.

This might be one of my favorite picture duos of all time...





When he's not attacking Khaw Meow, Julian is standing and cruising all the time, so we imagine it won't be too long until we'll have another walker in the house. His skin and weight issues have been causing me a lot of anxiety as of late, so we're prayerfully considering next steps, possibly including allergy testing. We've taken a stab at eliminating gluten from our diets this week, which has been a challenge, and haven't seen any improvement...it's all very inexact and confusing, but I'm trying to keep a proper perspective on it. I know there are much harder roads we could be walking. I took him to his pediatrician today (for an early 15 month appointment and to assuage my concerns) and she was overall very pleased with his Royal Adorableness, feeling that he's developing well and is altogether delightful (or maybe that's just my perspective...), but we need to focus on getting as many calories into him as possible. He diet is very healthy, just quite lean, and I long to spoon some whole fat yogurt or heavy cream into his cute little mouth!



So we've told him when he's hungry, just go to the fridge and help himself.



Here's Asa with his favorite friend, Yu, having their weekly after church lunch date. He sits in the midst of a group of women and eats his rice and veggies.

And enjoying some outside water play with his brother, a fantastic way to battle this intense heat...



Asa is at an age where his physical and verbal cuteness combine to be almost too much at times. He keeps us smiling with the things that come out of his mouth, and here are a few of our recent favorites...

-"Daddy, I bodged it!" (when playing Dodge Ball with Daddy)
-"Mommy, you be a robert and I'll catch you." (robber)
-We've had a wee bit of an issue (HUGE) with a downward spiral of words and attitudes of little ones toward one another. So we've been really working on 'building each other up' instead of 'tearing each other down' (1 Thessalonians 5:11). Asa told Tim the other day, with great earnestness, "Daddy, I'm going to start building Khaw Meow up and not tearing him down by hitting and kicking him."
- While I was standing at the sink recently, washing dishes..
Asa: Did your first husband die?
Me: (knowing he was in imagination mode...) Um, I guess so...
Asa: Can I be your second husband?
Me: Well, sure.
Asa: Good. I haven't been having a life (wife), and I've been sad because I haven't been having a life.
-And of course, our old favorite- "Amekiwa" (America:)


This is a schedule Em made for herself the other day. What a delightful routine, eh? Emmy is devouring books these days, which makes her mama so happy. She's been enjoying the Magic Tree House series as of late, and is also partial to American Girl books. I often look at her and squint my eyes, seeing that first little baby that came into our lives. Oh, for the grace to enjoy each day with these precious gifts!


A really neat development in Emmy's life has been the start of piano lessons. She's taking lessons from our dear friend Catherine, who is also her music teacher at school. I'm going through right along with her, and we've mastered such classics as "Merrily We Roll Along" and the introduction to "Ode to Joy". Here she is composing her own song, a recent assignment.


Her work in progress


Performing her composition


I had the fun of helping in her classroom this week when they made cookies on 'U.S.A. Day', a part of their American curriculum. It's an interesting concept, given that the entire first grade has only a few American citizens. It does give the kids the opportunity to learn some basics about America's unique history and democracy, which is valuable, and the day is a big hit with the children, as they do fun things like play baseball, have a picnic, and have a U.S.A. parade, in which the first graders ride scooters and bikes and throw candy to eager onlookers. We were both able to go that afternoon and enjoy the festivity.


In a completely unrelated vein, it's mango season! Which is a happy time of devouring fresh mangoes, mango shakes and mango and sticky rice. One of these years when I have rekindled my dairy flame, I'll have to give mango ice cream a go.

And here's our warrior, never without his sword, who can often be heard striking fear into the hearts of all (English speakers) on the playground, with proclamations such as, "The Terror of the Seven Seas!" Watch out, Amekiwa, he'll be coming your way before long!

10 comments:

Kim said...

Awesome post! It is chock full of good things. :) I'm sorry that Julian is still struggling with his diet. I hope you find all those culprits! It look like your lives are full of wonderful things to cherish inspite of the struggles. Have a Happy Easter!

Granna said...

Wow, the post to end all posts (oh, no! I take that back!) Papa Jeff said longingly yesterday, "They haven't updated the blog in a long time." Of course, I responded, also longingly, "They haven"t received a Jakey story in a long time, either." Did you hear us? Today, he called me from work to say, go look at the blog. Thank you for every thrilling word and photo! Yay!!!!!Happy celebration of our Lord's resurrection! Love you much! Mom-granna p.s. heard that cat hair ingesting can really help one gain weight. What a sweet, patient kitty!s

Anonymous said...

Such adorable little blessings! :-) We'll be praying for you to have wisdom and for little J to gain some weight.

Melanie said...

I love all the sayings. Aww, I love everything. Love you guys. Keep on finding the good things and life and celebrate them. And put a brick on Emmy's head. She's growing way fast. How awesome for her to compose her own music!! I wish Catherine was a piano teacher when I was a kid. :) Love you! Give yourself a hug for me and eat a mango!!! (And I'll be praying for Julian's skin and weight issues.)

Amy said...

The Magic Treehouse series is great! Another really good series that Ella just got into is The Fairy Chronicles. Really good girl power books!

Love all the pictures! So cute!

Amy :)

Christi said...

Wow. Emmy is looking SO grown up. I remember when our goofy dog was knocking over the little toddler she once was and then proceeding to attempt to lick her to death. They do grow up fast.

I hope you get to the bottom of Julian's skin issues very soon. I know it must be very trying for you.

Brea said...

Thank you for the update, Rhi. I'm sorry to hear about the political unrest, and about your uneasiness over Julian's allergies. That's really a lot to sort through.

I'm envious that you're getting to learn piano...I have aspirations of learning, too, when my children (hopefully) take lessons!

All the Mills look wonderful. We can't wait to see you here in Amekiwa!

Chris and Colleen said...

Hey Super Mama! I'm inspired....

Andy Estes said...

Guys I LOVE Your updates. We are already looking at 90 degrees here in Roswell, I might need to find myself a BIG bucket. Andy

Bobbi Jo said...

I love seeing your pictures and update on your family! Thanks for sharing with us!
Really love Emmy's "Art must be done" pic :-)