Sunday, January 10, 2010

Another New Year...

Our family likes to concentrate lots of celebration around the turn of the year...yesterday Tim and I celebrated 11 years of wedded bliss...which seems like quite a long time on one hand, yet seems very natural on the other. Tim began the day by delivering breakfast in bed, which was amazingly thoughtful and kind. Asa had made his way into our bed during the night, so he soon woke up and started taking bites...alas. We had planned to go out that evening together, but our little guy had a difficult time staying asleep the night before, and we feared it might be an unpleasant evening for everyone if we left, so we stayed put. We had a candlelight family dinner and had a really great time talking about when we were dating, engaged and married. Emmy had some sweet questions: "When did you first see each other?", "Why did you want to get married?", and she's convinced she wants to wear my wedding dress after looking at pictures...we'll see how she feels in 20 years!

While we would have loved to go out just the two of us, I know that, Lord willing, there will be anniversaries down the road for which we'll have the freedom to celebrate any way we choose, all by ourselves. And we'll likely be missing our children:). So for now we'll just thank God for the joy of the constraints He's given us.

After the kids were in bed, we spent the rest of the evening with Harry Potter, which we missed during the summer. How romantic! ;)

6 comments:

Keri said...

I think it's great, Rhianna. We have always made Valentine's Day a family event as well - candles, a nice dinner with valentines for our kids as well. I am totally with you on the "one day..." feelings. :) Happy Anniversary!

Kim said...

Happy 11th to you all! :) Looks like Khaw Meow is enjoying himself too!

Christy said...

Your candlelight dinner looks beautiful. And I love it that Emmy wants to wear your wedding dress - such a lovely thought! Happy Anniversary!!!

The Falkins said...

Happy Anniversary!

ErinM said...

Happy anniversary! 11 years is a wonderful milestone. I think it's lovely that you celebrated the start of your life as a family together with the family that you've created together.

Brea said...

I hope you all get to do a date night celebration soon, but your candlelit dinner sounded very sweet nonetheless. :) That Em is such a thoughtful child. Happy 11th anniversary!