Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bits and Pieces

There's no rhyme or reason here, just some happenings of late with some baby pictures thrown in for cuteness...

Lots of water around here lately. The rain has been incessant. We're very fortunate not to have it in our house; plenty of people around here do when it rains like this. It's made the drive to and from school quite an adventure. I took these photos from the songtaew on the way home from the church yesterday...



_________________________________________________

This is for Granna; I thought you'd like to see how Ju has grown into his Disney shirt!

__________________________________________________

We have a mom's group that has been meeting for a year and a half or so now...I envisioned it as sort of a playgroup when we began, but it has become a meeting time for mothers without their children, and primarily women with older children. We're studying the Bible with these ladies now, which is very thrilling, and a great opportunity for me to practice reading Thai...They like to incorporate cooking, too, so we've done a lot of baking, and this week Pii Peem taught us to make spring rolls. They were amazing! They took me back to our vacation in Phuket with the Robinsons, toes in the sand eating fresh spring rolls and pad thai, drinking fruit shakes...






_____________________________________________________

Look at how this silly boy likes to sleep...

______________________________________________________

And finally, to top off the random nature of this entry...

We went to dinner with some friends on Sunday night. We didn't know where we were going (only vaguely understanding a situation has become a routine part of our lives), but we knew we were going to eat when we got there. As it turned out, we ended up at a radio station where our friends gather often with other friends, all of whom are from Isaan, the northeastern region of Thailand. So we sat on the floor and ate sticky rice, somtam and satay while the station broadcast Isaan music in the next room over. The radio was on in the room where we were, and we heard him say at one point, "Farang gin kaaw neaw" (the westerners are eating sticky rice...)

the DJ at work


That's this week in a nutshell!

7 comments:

Keri said...

Mmm. Those spring rolls looked amazing! And how fun to eat at a radio station. :) I hope you all continue to stay dry.

Kim said...

Are you trying to make me sad now? ;) Looks like an amazing week actually. I often miss the daily adventures/challenges. How fun that P'Peem taught the spring rolls class. Her hair is cute short. We saw on the weather channel the system of typhoons headed your way...looks like it'll be wet and wetter there.

LaNell said...

I'm proud of you Rhi! Looks like you are getting opportunities to do what you do best. That Julian is just so cute. I look forward to our boys playing together one day. Will likes to sleep with things on his face too. Maybe it's a sign that they'll be buds. :)

Becky said...

That happens to us all the time. Just when we think we're meeting friends for dinner, suddenly we find ourselves at the radio station chillin with the deejays. happens every day, right? i love vague instructions and plans. they turn into such happily random experiences. At least you knew the important part - that eating would somehow be involved!

Christy said...

Oh my, that's such a great story! Those dang westerners, always showing up at radio stations to eat sticky rice.

Brea said...

This is a fun post, Rhi! Thanks for sharing pictures of daily BKK life...sure hope the flood waters recede soon!

Crystal said...

love the pics of the women cooking and how I miss those Monday morning meetings...and all that rain! Wow, I admit, I miss that too. I think Floridians think I am crazy because it doesn't seem like it has rained her at all this summer...and yet, most normal folk, think it rained a lot...they have no clue!!! =)