Monday, May 04, 2009

Chicks Dig Scars

Our Asa had his first trip to the emergency room Saturday night, and this title is my favorite facebook comment about it. Puts it all in perspective to know the girls will be swooning one day...

He and Emmy were playing a lively game of Asa-Runs-Past-The-Couch-At-Top-Speed-While-Emmy-Jumps-From-The-Couch-Into-Him. Perhaps not surprisingly, it ended in disaster, when Asa hurtled headlong into the corner of the rocking chair and began to bleed profusely above his eye. Tim's inner ER doctor came out in full force, and he began issuing orders involving towels and wet cloths. Asa was a model patient, allowing his wound to be cleaned and bandaged.

We ate dinner, and after determining that he most likely did need stitches because the cut was on his face, he and I headed to the hospital. Here he is on the hospital bed pre-stitches, with Daddy's homemade butterfly bandage and his faithful Dog. Never have I been more thankful for Dog than when Asa was swaddled in sheets with 5 Thai medical people holding him down while the doctor stitched his cut (they were very kind and skillful). My, was he a brave boy. And I was pretty brave, too, although I'm fairly certain that his tears were harder for me than they were for him. It's worth noting that this particular hospital is sketchy in its English proficiency, so a fair amount of our communication was done in Thai. I guess my adrenaline was working on my behalf!

And this is our big boy the next morning. I experienced a wee bit of anxiety when I saw his eye swollen practically shut. I put in a call to our inter-continental medical advice line (thanks, Gwen!), and was assured that he was not going to, in fact, lose his eye.

In other news, we made play-doh today, which was big fun.

I'm not sure why they're snuggling in this picture...


6 comments:

Brea said...

That play dough looks awesome! And it looks like the swelling in Asa's eye subsided quickly!

Kim said...

So glad that you were able to get good ER care and that God sustained you emotionally and lingusitically!

ErinM said...

Poor Asa! He looks as adorable as ever, even with his bandage, and what a great story to tell the chicks someday. He can hold this over Emmy forever!

Jean Joiner said...

he's adorable...even with a busted eye. :)

Christy said...

Oh my goodness, what unwelcome excitement! I'm so impressed with Asa's bravery (and yours, too - sounds heart wrenching!). The couple times I've tried to put ice on Andrew's bumps have made me think Andrew might not respond the same way.

I'm amazed that you did all that in Thai. It doesn't seem like medical speak would be the first thing you learn.

Crystal said...

Never a dull moment, huh?! Have you had your fill of trips to Samitivej yet??!! Praying for no more in the near future.

Miss you tons, give our love to Tim and the kids...