This home has been a tremendous blessing for us. It suits us quite well, and it's very convenient to our office/church/teammates. It's about the size that our house in Atlanta (Tucker) was, and though it has nothing much in the way of a yard, there is a little playground down the street (pictured later), that provides for play space. It's a diverse neighborhood, with houses and townhouses of different sizes; thus people from different socioeconomic backgrounds living in close proximity. We have really great neighbors and have felt very welcomed. The aforementioned soi dogs do steal shoes (thus the closed gate) and wake us sometimes in the middle of the night with their 2 am canine carousing that requires everyone to bark his or her head off in unison, but other than that, they're quite charming. There's one named "Tia", and now Asa refers to all dogs by this name.
We painted the kitchen, and were so happy to do so as this is the first room that hasn't been wallpapered and thus qualifies for paint. It looks quite red here, but truly it has more brown-orange tones. It was a pretty bold choice, but Asa was enjoying escaping in the store while we were perusing colors, making himself a prime candidate for toddler-snatching, so we quickly chose this one and called it a night. The kitchen is great. Not big, but very efficient. AND it has cabinets, which one cannot take for granted here in Thailand (many homes have very little in the way of cabinets). The ants have graciously allowed us to share their kitchen. If we leave any morsel out for an extended period, it's covered with ants when we return. But as long as we put things away and hide the sugar in the refrigerator, they're pretty easy to get along with.
I love the living room, mostly because of the cute kids who like to hang out here, dressed in strange outfits. Note the lovely pinkish/orange curtains behind them.
This is probably the most unique feature of this house. Between the living and dining areas (it's all one long room), there's this odd wall with these spaces cut out. Tim's ceramics fit perfectly here, convincing us that this is, in fact, a great house for us.
This is not our house, but it was worth documenting. This can graces the post outside the house 3 doors down. And it lights up at night! Hee, hee, hee.
This is the Roti man, who comes through every evening about 5:00 selling his delicious concoctions of fried dough with egg and sweetened condensed milk. (Colleen, these will always remind me of our night in Chiang Mai- chocolate roti and white maternity pants:) He makes them hot and to order. We have a number of other vendors that come through during the day, including the som tam lady (this is a very popular dish in Thailand; read a bit about it here), the fruit lady (she has a cart with fresh, cold fruit that she cuts up for you when you order it- watermelon, pineapple, guava or papaya), the tea/coffee man, and the ice cream man.
This is the neighborhood spirit house. Some of our neighbors have spirit houses in their yards, as well, and they're very common at both homes and businesses. For a good description of them, go here.
And this is our little playground, where lots of people gather in the evenings after the heat of the day has subsided. It's a great place to play and meet people, and we go most evenings...

8 comments:
Man, I'm so jealous that you have a FRESH FRUIT CART coming right through your neighborhood. Does it get any better than that?
Your house looks great, Rhi! I can't get over how perfect the wall cut-outs are for Tim's pottery!
Absolutely lovely! What a gorgeous home, neighborhood, and family. Enjoy!
Love,
Amy
Loved the pics as it lets us see into your world more. Meg will love seeing where you all live!
Yay!! Thanks for the photos. Now we can picture your life over there a little better. Your home is gorgeous and decorated beautifully. So glad to see a playground for the kiddos!!
You guys make everything beautiful. I'm with Brea - the wall cut-outs for Tim's work are the best! Not to mention the assortment of vendors coming by. I think I'd just sit by the window all day clutching cash and waiting for the next one to wheel through.
ooooh!! how fun to see your home! it looks very nice. the windows are so different...and the wall cut outs displaying Tim's ceramics are AMAZING!!! perfect!
i love asa's curls in the previous post!
Rhi,
The house looks awesome. I agree it is perfect. I'm so glad you have all that. I love the red kitchen. The house is very Thai and I love it. Enjoy your new home.
I'm going to come lie on the couch in your living room and get up only to get food from from your beautiful kitchen or a vendor, depending on what I'm hungry for. When I come I'm going to bring some of our ants so that they can have a cultural experience mingling with yours. It'll be a big deal for the Arkansas ants to take a trip to the big city...Seeing your home makes me miss you all more.
Post a Comment