Friday, June 08, 2007

Holiday

This is just about one of the most exciting things I've ever done in my life. We actually got to ride an elephant! I hope I don't someday become some callused Thailand dweller who yawns in the presence of elephants, because they are amazing animals. We just returned from a vacation in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand, where we got our elephant fix. Petting, feeding, getting sprayed with river water from their trunks, seeing them do funny tricks...just such fun. The ride was quite an adventure. I expected Em to be terrified and possibly refuse to climb aboard, but she surprised us by hopping right on and swinging her legs, chatting merrily the entire time while Tim and I held on for dear life and I squeezed our boy so hard he cried.

I had sort of expected it to be like a pony ride, with someone holding the reins while the elephant walked in circles, but it was a trek up a muddy hillside and a steep descent that was a wee bit frightening. But all worth it in the end. At one point our driver pulled off the trail and hopped off, offering to take our picture. I was terrified at this point that the elephant was going to take off down the hill. He kept edging over toward the path, and the driver would look at him, nervously, I thought, and tap him with this little stick. He took the picture, but he cut off our heads, alas. I really didn't care; I just wanted him to get back on so we wouldn't have the life-altering experience of careening down a hillside on an unmanned elephant.

We did lots of other fun things, too, and have lots of pictures, so I think I'll post family ones today and interesting city shots in a few days...


We took tuk-tuks all over the city. This is the one we hired to take us to the zoo and drive us around there, as it's a hilly place and very spread out, so you really need a vehicle to see it in any sort of timely fashion. Tuk-tuks are like glorified go-carts that speed around the city making lots of noise and putting out massive amounts of exhaust. It was fun to see the children enjoy the experience...the little adventurers.
Our other mode of transport was the song taew, a truck with a covered bed fitted with two benches where passengers sit. Here we are zooming up the mountain, Doi Suthep.

This is the temple on Doi Suthep. Quite a grand place, full of many beautiful people and sights, and a great place to pray for this beautiful country. There were so many steps leading up to it, as you can see in the picture- the dragon tails stretch up quite a long way. We were worn out when we got to the top!
The boys at the Doi Suthep temple.

Okay, a few more shots without narration, so as to not bore you to death...





12 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

Wow! What awesome photos...looks amazing. I think I would be terrified of the elephant! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Jean

keri said...

looks like a terrific time for you all! what a brave little emmy to get on that elephant! even though they are ella's favorite animal...i'm not sure she would want to ride one! how exciting!! thanks for showing us all the great pics!

Brea said...

These pictures are GREAT! I love the one of you and Asa at the end.

I was trying to imagine you speaking Thai with the mom with her baby in a sling - were you discussing slings in Thai?

Crystal said...

Rhianna-
Great pics and it looks like a great time too! So glad it was all you all hoped for.

trmills said...

Hey Brea, we were actually having a very simple conversation about our children- she told me she had five boys and I responded, "You're very busy!". But Tim told me that he thinks I said, "You're very mosquito!", as the words for busy and mosquito are only a tone apart. Alas, I try!

Brea said...

That is too funny!

Anonymous said...

Dont give up on your Thai...keep trying. and by the way, your pictures and narration are NEVER boring! Thanks for sharing.

love, helenH

Emily said...

Oh, Rhianna, you may remember it is one of my life goals to ride and elephant. I'm so jealous! Rob has been teaching the girls to make elephant noises the past few weeks, so as they're tromping around our living room make nasal shrieking sounds with their lips, I'll think of you. Do you think you and Tim can make it to our going away party-I've heard talk of a pinata...

Anonymous said...

That looks like a wonderful vacation! I love the pictures, especially the elephant--it must be an amazing experience to get to do that! Emmy sounds like she had the time of her life. Kids are incredible.

Christy said...

Your Thai story is hilarious. And I think that shot may be my favorite - you look so perfectly (and beautifully) missionary there with your baby on your back talking with an obviously Thai mom wearing her little one as well.

Craig and Gwen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig and Gwen said...

Love the cool sling pic!!

Gwen