Monday, March 26, 2007

Mangoes and Other Thoughts

I admit, I am longing for Spring. I know that in a land far away daffodils are blooming, breezes are blowing, trees are budding and those inhabiting that land are tempted to think that all just may be right with the world. There is certainly no lack of blooming beauty here, but it is heating up, and it's just not Spring.

Although it's not the season of rebirth and beauty here in Thailand, it is the season of mangoes. They're not a cure-all, but fresh, ripe mangoes go a long way toward easing the pain of longing. My industrious and creative husband even took it upon himself recently to attempt that loveliest of Thai delicacies, mango and sticky rice. He found a recipe online for making sticky rice in the microwave, which is a far cry from the rinsing, soaking and steaming that is traditionally done. True to character, I had my doubts about his experiment, but it turned out beautifully, as you can see above. If you can get your hands on some ripe mangoes and a bag of sticky rice , I would urge you to try it; perhaps it will inspire you to begin planning your trip to The Land of Smiles...

In other culinary news, Asa is eating cereal, sweet potatoes, pears and bananas. He's not sure what to think about the bananas; I don't know if it's the sweetness that's throwing him off, but he makes funny faces when he eats them. As you can see above, he can sit in his booster seat now, and is sitting up like a big boy in general.

And here's the big news: Saturday we found his first tooth coming in! My finger found it, and we all crowded around him, exclaiming for joy. We made him cry with our exuberance. This discovery has been bittersweet for me, for several reasons, I think. One is simply that he's growing so quickly, and that is joyful but sad. Another is that I know the end of those sweet gummy smiles and him chewing on my chin is at hand. I also just realized today that a big part of my sadness is seeing him develop and knowing that so many of those we love are not witnessing it...this is so hard, and I'm giving my hurt about it to God. Tim reminded me that we would not wish upon him the fate of being forever toothless, and that does help to put things in perspective.

Besides being a great sister and sweet daughter and Imaginer-In-Chief, Emmy is growing and developing in so many ways. The Thai schools are out for summer right now, so she's been enjoying the company of the children across the street some during the days, and that's been really good for her. They've invited her to lunch several times, and I hear reports that she downs rice and noodles with relish (not pickle relish, of course). She does, however, draw the line at Fish Ball Soup, and one can hardly blame her.

She's also busy with her vocabulary, both real and imagined. Her favorite new word is "Smackadome", which, from what we gather, is close in meaning to "share". As in, "She smackadomed the milkshake with her friend." She's been laughing gleefully over the adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, and especially loves the escapades of he and Piglet when they attempt to capture a Heffalump. She made us laugh last night when she asked for a snack, and Tim offered her apple. She paused, then said, "Are there any other options?"

One final story from tonight. Tim and I were finishing dinner preparations, and we saw that she had climbed on the stool, up on to the counter, and was getting the glasses down for dinner. We just had to stop and hug her. What a big girl.

6 comments:

keri said...

oh rhi... i teared up as i was reading about your sadness of family and friends not being able to witness all the milestones that little asa is reaching. i just know i would hurt the same way. the first year is such a big one! i'm probably more in the know now than i was when you lived in the states and i'm happy about that!! i love that you are blogging. and i love the recent pics you've posted! love to you and your family.

Brea said...

Hey, Friend-

If it's any consolation, though Spring in Georgia is lovely, the pollen is just awful right now! The whole world is yellow and I think the pollen count is up in the 5,000 range...things often seem ideal from afar, but know that even if you were home, there would still be only One who could satisfy all your longings.

Even so, being so far from home is hard. I hope it's some comfort to know that I feel that I am getting to watch Asa grow and develop through pictures and stories, and I love him just as much as I love Emmy, even though I haven't had the privilege of kissing his cheeks yet!

Tell Asa Aunt Brea says congratulations on his first tooth!

Christy said...

Oh Rhi, I know how I get if it's been more than a month and I haven't been able to show off Andrew's new skills to my mom, so I can only imagine .... You do an amazing job describing your babies, though, and the pictures (and DVD) are just priceless. Praise the Lord for technology! I'm with Brea - I love that little Asa like I do Emmy. I have to remind myself that I also have yet to kiss his cheeks.

And I'm so totally with you on the bittersweetness of our precious little ones growing up. Andrew's moving around so much now, which has been exciting and fun, but then I look back at pictures of him swaddled up and realize how far he's come. I've been hoping that he'll wait 'til he's one before he cuts a tooth (as his father before him). Steak can wait, but I do love those gummy smiles!!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the microwave sticky rice and mango recipe???
I LOVE this dessert!

Im praying for your homesickness to pass. Spring is so beautiful but as your friend said, the pollen count is dreadful right now and soon it will hot here too.

Im so glad I got to see you if only for a few minutes when we were in BKK.

helen

trmills said...

Hi Mrs. Henry! I wanted to make sure you knew that you can click on the word "recipe" and it will take you to the recipe Tim found...we think it's very good!

Thank you for your prayers for us, and it was a joy, as always, to see you, too.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the computer help. I am going to use this recipe (sticky rice)for a mission committee potluck in several weeks!

helen