Boy, was I surprised this time at how difficult transition was. There's the sheer physicality of adjusting to the vastly different geographical location (I wonder if our bodies were not really designed to hurtle across the world at hundreds of miles an hour, judging from the physical toll it takes), but also the emotional task of wrapping one's head around leaving one place and adjusting to another. I never think that will be hard, as we very much know the lay of the land here now and are quite at home, yet it always is. When we've been in Thailand 2 or 3 years, I somehow forget the differences between this home and the other one; when we return from a time in the U.S., the differences again seem vast. The environment, the driving, the heat...it all just makes one want to go to bed. But when in bed, one can't sleep properly, so it's really quite trying to the soul. Over a week into regular nights of sleep, now, however, the world looks like a brighter place.
 |
| pre-departure, with pretty grandmothers at the airport |
School has been in session for almost two weeks, and both Em and Asa have had good days. There's always some level of hope and disappointment surrounding teachers and classmates, but we try to remind ourselves that God knows our needs, and everyone adjusts; new relationships are made while the old are still treasured. Emmy has been very excited and a wee bit nervous about the advent of middle school...it's quite a step. (As an aside- she's such an amazingly beautiful middle schooler!) So far, so good. She loves to share every minute detail about her day, much to my delight. When asked about his day in second grade, Asa will say, "I can't really remember. I scored a goal in soccer at recess!" So at least we know the important things are happening.
 |
| off to school...well, two of them |
As for Ju, he is along for the ride with his crazy teacher mama, and my plan has been to begin kindergarten when I am on a bit more solid ground. In a burst of energy on Friday, however, I spontaneously got out a few books and Julian acted like I'd taken him to an amusement park, so enthusiastic was he. He proceeded to do the first 8 lessons of his math book (!) (his first book is primer level so it is very basic at the beginning), along with some phonics, reading and handwriting. And we were still all finished at 10 and free to go out for errands and noodles for lunch- such is the beauty of kindergarten at home. So, with little fanfare, we're on our way. I think we're going to have a good time.
We also had a special gift to help ease our transition...our dear friend cousins, the Watts, came through to see us last weekend, and we had a grand time, as always. We celebrated their boys' birthdays and just all thoroughly enjoyed one another. So very thankful for these beloved ones!
1 comment:
Love you, dear Rhi. I hope a greater sense of normal is starting to set in. I love that Emmy shares all the details of her days with you. Such a sweet one. And very exciting about Ju's homeschooling! Miss you all!
Post a Comment