Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Moving

Today is moving day. There are a million things to do, but I'm taking a few quiet minutes to mark this place in time. I just sent the schoolchildren off this morning with a long last look, and in less than 3 hours this space will be a jumble of movers. Today marks a move toward simplicity, space, outside play...so many good things. Walking to school after two years of commuting- amazing. We're all excited. It's clearly time. We took a little time last night to do one of our moving traditions- looking back, saying goodbye. With cake. And a sign made by my favorite 5 year old.

This space we've inhabited for two years has been very good to us. We've learned to be Bangkok urbanites, with all of the inherent perks and challenges. Riding elevators, trains, taxis, buses, tuk tuks...all in the regular course of things. Walking to great Japanese noodle shops, the grocery store and the park. Massage or manicure? Down the street. A sweet sewing man just outside our building who stitches anything up with a gentle smile for about three dollars. Guards that work all around our building whom we will truly miss. The couple down the way who makes somtam and always greets us so kindly. A street constantly backed up with exhaust-pumping traffic, often making road travel highly inadvisable. The frustration of knowing we live just over there, but we can't get there in any sort of timely manner because of the thousands of other people who are simultaneously trying to maneuver vehicles in the same direction.

I doubt that we will ever again live within easy walking distance to four 7-11 stores and 3 Starbucks.

This home has seen many, many joyful family times- movie nights, Saturday morning coffee and Scrabble games, birthday parties and wild rumpuses. It's seen tears and frustration. Dinners with old and new friends, meetings and times of worship. We open our hands in thanks for what we have been given, and look with anticipation to what is to come.
saying farewell to home- with the sign that Ju made

current view- we've descended into chaos

3 comments:

Christy said...

Julian's handwriting is amazing!! I can't wait to hear all about your new place.

LaNell said...

I agree! Way to go Ju! So excited about you new opportunities.

Kim Cunningham said...

I saw your new address on the newsletter that came to church and knew I had missed some news! So happy that you are getting that simplicity back. Every little home has a treasure trove of memories and I know you'll treasure your apt years, too.