Wednesday, August 07, 2013

They're Off

Oh, my, yesterday was the first day of school...ever, for our first grade boy...and the last first day of elementary for our fifth grade girl. The day started with lots of nerves and excitement, and I won't say it was easy for me. In fact, I was a sad, sad mama. I think transition is just difficult for some of us and we have to give ourselves lots of grace through it.  Especially when it involves our treasures growing up and away...

Of course, the sun'll come out to-morrow...and today, day #2, was much better for me. These sweeties are dear friends, and Em's enjoying having little brother join her at the early morning breakfast table and on the train...


Initial reports have been very good. They're going to fly.

And this new year leaves me with my days filled with one special little fellow...
I see this season as a unique window of time to be with him. He hasn't missed a beat- not sad that he's the lone little at home, but ALWAYS at my side, which is a big change in a home where playing with siblings is the norm. So we'll work toward structuring our days to give him the stimulation he needs and give me the bit of space I need. I can already see how my time with him alone will be so unique- focusing in on his imaginative scenarios and joining in his games as we ride an escalator or walk down a sidewalk. He is a gift.

So, we're hopeful as we begin. Here's to growing!

5 comments:

Granna said...

Each picture worth a thousand words! Thank you, thank you! Loved our phone visit just now! Helps me feel like half around the world is just around the corner! Praying for you and loving you each day! Granna

Brea said...

Oh my, it does all fly! That can be hard on a mama's heart. Thankful the big kids are enjoying their school time and that Ju gets to enjoy lots of time with Mama! Praying you can savor that and figure out how to navigate this new place with him.

Kim Cunningham said...

Oh the Mama's heart! Such an exciting time, but also bittersweet as life takes another turn. I know it will be wonderful, but yes, time is needed to adjust. Will pray for these new days ahead. I love our homeschool, but sometimes I envy what life might be with all 3 of mine at ICS. Such a wonderful school and blessing of experience! I guess we both have to trust God's plans!

Christy said...

I love that brother and sister are enjoying their time together so much. Makes my heart so happy! My heart also aches with yours at the passing of such a sweet season. Praying for fabulous memories with your Ju this year. Els and I were chatting at bath time about this being her last year home with me. Sigh. She's promised the pets will keep me company while she's gone. :-)

LaNell said...

You are such a good mom, Rhi. I am so glad that you get this time with Julian. He's such a cutie-pie. Isn't it nice to have the chance to do this three times! So glad that Emmy and Asa have each other and are such great pals. What a gift!