Three weeks into our new stage of life in Bangkok, and thus far all is well. At least on our little home front (there have been demonstrations recently to commemorate the anniversary of the riots and protests that happened two years ago). Life continues, tumultuous and ever-changing...my family at home is remembering the life of my Granny, for whom our Jewell was named. She turned 96 on Mother's Day and went to sleep two days ago to wake with her Creator. It's been a quiet joy for me to meditate on my memories of her; she played a significant part in our childhoods and I even lived with her for a few months after college. Also, because Tim and I have such a long history together, we share some fun memories of Granny, which is special. It's been hard not to be with my family as we grieve, and it's the first transition of this kind that we've had to traverse from a distance, but I'm thankful for good communication tools and my heart is at rest that all are at peace with her long life.
In our seventh floor dwelling, we are settling in. After the stress of moving day, the days of settling in and making this home, and the newness of beginnings (I have felt like I'm living someone else's life!), last week was when the transition began to feel weighty for me. It's simply adjustment to a new place, a new normal. Walking to the grocery store and almost anywhere else (coffee? fruit? grilled chicken? a drink at 7-11? Just an elevator ride and a jaunt down the street will get you all these things and more!), train riding, high up dwelling, ear-splitting tile cutting in the apartment above ours, sweaty walks down exhaust filled thoroughfares- a new way of life. We've met neighbors who are Thai, Japanese, Italian, Dutch and English thus far.
And our children have been entertained by painters hanging outside the window, which we all found quite diverting...
The view directly across from our balcony is another building, as you can see above. We literally have a window into people's lives and doings, and they into ours. Must remember to close those curtains at critical times!
But looking to the right and left...
...the occasional treat of chocolate milk...
...or watermelon, pineapple or mango from the fruit vendor.
all of our little monkeys hanging out together
So, how is everyone feeling about their new digs? Let's get the word on the street...
"Swimming in the swimming pool is fun"
I like it! (What do you like?) Swimming pool and comfy couch. (as an aside- an interesting thing about apartments in Bangkok is that they often come partially or fully furnished. So we inherited a number of pieces of furniture...one of which is a very comfy couch:)
And this came home in Emmy's backpack this week; a postcard she was assigned to write to a book character, telling about her home: I would like to tell you about my house. I have just moved. I love my new house! My room is purple, and my a.c. sings to me! I love all the rooms, and there is a swimming pool downstairs. It is an apartment. I hope you like your home, too!
Of course, wherever we are there will be battles to fight...
...books to read...
...and special days to celebrate.
Mother's Day
We've had lots of people time, finding this place to be a good spot to welcome and get to know people, as well as a convenient place to access the city. I will begin formal language study again in a week and a half, so we'll be switching off 'work' and 'home' duties, and I'm looking forward to deepening skills that have been built over our time thus far, and seeing all that God will do as we walk in this new place He has given us.
And speaking of our time thus far, our 6 year Thai-niversary happened this week. In honor of this milestone, here's a photo from the summer of 2006, just a month or so after our arrival, when we were three waiting to be four.
We're looking so fresh and hopeful, and my memories of that time are of lots of newness and joy, yes, but also lots of struggle. I probably cried out of homesickness and frustration and heat aggravation, then took a nap, just before or after this happy photo. Such was the nature of those days, and, as for all of us, time continues to be filled with both laughter and tears. I'm glad to be past those early days of adjustment; this new chapter comes with its own transition, but it is not nearly as dramatic. We have found God to be faithful and trust Him with the days to come.













6 comments:
I have not kept up with your blog posts very well, and just happened upon them today, only to discover your recent loss. I'm so sorry. I know being so far away while family is all back home dealing with your loss is hard. I wish it was easier for you! Love reading of your new home and all the kids. Looking beautiful as usual, Rhianna! Great to see you all!
Love you sweet friend! Thank you for the update. Praying!
So sorry to hear of your Granny's passing. Praying for peace in your heart in the distance.
So glad you have "settled in" somewhat in the apt. Glad the kids are enjoying it. I know so many adventures await.
Smiling at the last photo and remembering that time well. Look at little Emmy!
I'm sorry to hear about your Granny's passing. I'm thankful she lived a long and meaningful life and that she is at home with her Savior.
I hope I get to visit your downtown apartment one of these days. I'd be up for a walk to the park and some fruit on the street. I hope we could find a fruit shake, too.
I'm thankful with you that this transition isn't as dramatic as the initial one was. I know its still a pretty big adjustment, though. Praise God for giving you the faith to follow His lead!
Its hard to believe you have been in BKK for six years. Brennan was two weeks old when you left! In some ways, it feels longer than that, and in other ways it has passed very quickly. In any case, I miss you, friend!
Such a wonderful update - thank you! I'm so glad you and Tim have shared memories of your special grandmother. That is so neat. And I'm dying to see pictures of this "comfy couch." Is it black leather with a built-in recliner?? The picture of you guys right after your move to Thailand brought little tears to my eyes ... that sweet Emmy grin! Has it really been that long?
Thanks for sharing the update, seems that urban high rise living is an adjustment for everyone.
Post a Comment