Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sunshine and Rain

The high point of our last week was welcoming this fellow home. He was only gone for a week this time, and we were provided for splendidly (I even got to go to a day long women's retreat- amazing, unasked for grace), but "ain't no sunshine when he's gone"...at least not nearly as much.

Our vehicle has been in the shop for a week now for some major overhaul, so we've been exclusively using public transportation for a bit. Good in many ways, thankful to have it, but a bit wearing to leave the house at 6:45 on school mornings to ride the song taew to a taxi to take to school...Here we're waiting on the song taew for a somewhat mis-adventurous but nonetheless fun outing yesterday with some friends who work in a neighboring country and are in town for a few days.

on the sky train

city walking

art museum

isn't Thai script pretty?

getting a snack on the street

pigeon pursuit

On the literary front, fans of Madeline L'Engle will enjoy Em's rendering of some of the characters from 'A Wrinkle in Time'...


I picked this back up (after a good 25 years) for book club a couple of months ago, and it turned out that all three of the oldest members of our family read through it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Japan is on all of our minds. How many times will we see things we have perceived as unshakable, shaken to pieces? We are grieving for those people. There will be many times ahead, surely, when it will seem as though all things are falling apart, whether in global or personal spheres. Truly, to whom shall we go for refuge outside of our Creator, who alone is unshakable? We pray that God's people in Japan will display a love for neighbor that, like Christ's, is courageous and sacrificial in this time of great need.

And a bit of sunshine to round things out...

7 comments:

Yu_Yupawadee said...

Aww...na rak maak ๆ :).

Barbara said...

Just precious! A wonderful ray of sunshine.

I so enjoy peaking in on your family and also keeping up on the ministry there. It's exciting to see how God is working.

Kim said...

Don't know how I missed this post. Glad for an update!

Brea said...

Amen and Amen...to your thoughts on Japan and sweet Ju's prayer.

Gillian said...

I'm so glad you were well-cared for during Tim's absence. Prayed for you guys! I LOVED Madeleine L'Engle when I was younger. I read every book of hers I could find. I thought maybe I could really "kythe"---is that what it was called? I hope Holly and June enjoy them as Emmy is!

Christy said...

I'm so glad Tim and his sunshine are back. Loved sweet Julian's prayer! And I must pick up A Wrinkle In Time again ... I don't remember a thing about it! For shame!

travelingwatts@yahoo.com said...

Oh, Rhi! I also just re-discoverd Through a Time Sieve this past fall, much to my delight! I'm glad you read it to the kids apparently, although I at age 34 finally understood it myself. Colleen