Monday, July 26, 2010

18 months

We made it! Our sweet little Ju is 18 months old...I remember during some of the harder seasons of his short life thus far, especially that first year, thinking it would be glorious to get to this stage and imagining what he might be like when we got through some of those rough patches...and here we are!

He is a beautiful boy, and he's all his own. Now that he's so mobile and talking a great deal ("Daddy!", "bubble", "thank you", many more discernible words and many we can't understand...) he's such a little life force, barreling through the days with alternating wide, dimpled smiles and a quick, sharp cry of displeasure (which gets no shortage of use, let me tell you). He alternates between inhaling good food and signing "all finished" after only a few bites. He loves to carry a baby doll, kiss it and put it in a stroller for a walk. He greets us with a huge grin and a "Hiiiiii!" when one of us has been absent from his sight for a while. He's passionate about bananas and watermelon, but won't have anything to do with milk (except the mommy version). He's much more attached to a pacifier than I would like, and he has the sweetest affinity for the blanket that his great aunt Bernice made- those two items are sleep essentials, and he'd have them every waking minute, too, if we encouraged him.

I still stick to the assessment that, for now, he's a sensitive little fellow. Physically (dratted eczema!) and emotionally, he turns on a dime. It took him the longest, by far, to recover from our international travel this summer, and between transition and teething it was a long time before we saw much sunshine from this little guy.

At his 18 month appointment he had gained 10 percentile points in his weight, which was such a relief to me. And he was at the 50th percentile in height, giving him the shortest stature among our little ones, who have all been high on the height scale thus far.

All of that being said, he's a bundle of joy and he's ours. I still look at him sometimes and think, "how did you get here, you unique little guy?" What a gift.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I recognize that watermelon!

Such a sweet post! It is amazing to make it to the toddler part! So happy to hear of Ju's weight gain and his generally being a perfect little specimin of a boy! Glad you all are through the transitions of travel and settling back in. Enjoy the last weeks of summer. We have just 6 days left!

Brea said...

Aren't they just the most adorable (albeit often fussy) little creatures at this stage? I'm really enjoying it this time around. Julian is precious; I'm so glad I got some time with him recently.

Christy said...

Julian and Elsbeth should have a sharp cry of displeasure contest. :-)

He is soooo adorable. Loved the update on your littlest man.