A few recent things:
Emmy's first art show, displaying her work from the first semester of first grade.
Khaw Meow is doing just fine, and becoming an integral part of the family.
Sometimes, on Tim's day off, he'll take Asa on a boys' adventure outing, often riding the soeng taew to the King's Park for some treehouse/paddleboat fun. If we time it just right, they go during Ju's nap, and it's amazingly great for me. They come back all hot and sweaty and sometimes bring somtam, chicken and sticky rice for lunch...yummy.
This guy is our little warrior. He emerges from his bedroom each morning, clad in next to nothing, with a sword in each hand. He directs me to be nefarious characters and dragons all day long so that he can defeat me. He only wants to read books with battles (hard to come by in appropriate form for a 3 year old), and scours every book carefully for any picture of swords, shields, spears, even guns. He'll take shovels and machinery if no pictures of weaponry are available. I often coerce him to read Beatrix Potter, Robert McCloskey and Winnie the Pooh, and he enjoys them once we're into them. He also loves fairy tales, because he loves the princes with swords.After some recent, ahem, incidents, I'm really trying to develop his sense of knightly honor and valor to extend to love for his siblings. Our recent drill has gone like this:
Me: "What is your duty?"
Asa (standing at attention): "To protect Julian!"
It's working, too. He still occasionally bops him on the head with a sword, but he's becoming quite aware of the need to close doors so our little bottom scootcher doesn't head for the hills (or the stairs), and that sort of thing.
And this was fun...our friend Catherine brought us polynesian sauce from her trip home over Christmas, so we had a taste of home!

7 comments:
It looks like you are all doing well. Emmy's artwork looks fantastic.
Oh -- and I must see the video. :)
So much in this post to smile about! I love Emmy's art collection and love how you guys let her hang her collection for a show! I love Tim's Hua Hin shirt and I love the thought of him bringing some chicken, sticky rice and somtam home. BLISS...BLISS. Would love a hot stick day at the park too.
Totally relate to the oozey diaper.:) Thanks for the glimpse of your lives.
I was there when she got the polynesian sauce! I love Asa's duty now of protecting Julian. Way to work the principles creatively. Love you!
When I read the blog title I thought I would see Emmy running around with armor and a bearing a sword (I know that she is not above this!) but then I realized quickly that you were describing each of those precious babes. Asa's big smile is so cute...and they are all getting so big. Makes me miss you all VERY much.
love you!
Okay, must see the dance. Ryan just got a bow (for hunting) and is excited about sending a picture to Asa when it arrives. :)
I really would love to be a nefarious character today.
Must see the naked dancing video! :)
I think you are very smart to use Asa's sense of chivalrous duty to your advantage - well done! We have a book I am confident Asa would love called "The Bravest Knight" by Mercer Mayer. I don't think it's the most cleverly told story, actually, but it's all about a little boy's make believe world of knights, fair ladies, dragons, etc.
Post a Comment