Friday, November 06, 2009

Shrimp Without Faces

We went to the King's Park the other day and ended up on this fabulous little tram that ferried us all around. We didn't know why it was there, as we often don't know things here, and just bumble our way through whatever happens to come into our path, but it was fun. Julian had a big time.

He's clapping his hands and waving bye bye. I've caught myself humming "If you're happy and you know it", and then looked down to see him clapping his sweet little hands, eyes and mouth wide open. Oh my.

Halloween was low key but fun this year. We've acquired some friends, which makes life so enjoyable . So these lovely children joined us for some festivities...



In lieu of real orange pumpkins, we painted bulbs of garlic orange (well, Asa got creative with his...) Isn't that brilliant? I can't take any credit for it, it was my brilliant friend's idea. Then we watched Charlie Brown and hid candy for them to find. I think my children now think that a candy hunt is part of the traditional Halloween celebration.

We also made some amazing pumpkin bread the old fashioned way...


On an entirely different note, this is where we get our Pad Thai. We like it with shrimp, and Asa asks for his "without faces". Shrimp faces are unsettling.

Our Pad Thai man is married to the vice principal of Emmy's former Thai preschool. They're both highly skilled, but in vastly different fields!


Other tidbits...

-We had our first ever parent-teacher conference recently. Doesn't that make us officially grown up? Emmy's teacher described her personality as 'effervescent', which I thought was just right. She's doing great academically and socially and wow, we're so thankful.

-I recently sat on the songtaew across from a very elderly man with a mesh bag full of live turtles.

-My favorite recent Asa quote- he and Tim were out riding bikes, and Asa looked up and said to Tim, "I love being with you."

-My current favorite Asa word- "goow" (girl)

-My favorite recent conversation with Asa was all about bottoms- whose you could talk about and whose you couldn't ("Is it okay to say that Julian has a cute bottom?"), in what contexts it was okay to talk about them, etc. He got a little offended at me for laughing, I think.

-The other day I passed a woman riding a motorcycle wearing an Atlanta Hawks shirt.

-I rode my bike to get a haircut this week. Also paid $4 for the (pretty nice!) haircut. How's that for efficient?

-We had an odd cold spell come through at the beginning of the week with overcast skies and highs in the mid 80's. It was glorious, and Emmy wore her jacket to school:) It is officially the beginning of "cool season", so we shall see...

10 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

love this post...great little look into your life there. fun tidbit section too! :)

Anonymous said...

Those tidbits are such a fun picture of your Thai life. About your first comment, I often think that about our life. How did I become this grown-up with three kids & a mini-van?!? :-)
Great pics! You are blessed with such beautiful children.

Crystal said...

great post, Rhi...thanks for the updates and the fun snippets of your daily lives. How I miss Thai pumpkin!

Crystal said...

...and, of course, I miss you all too!

Melanie said...

Wow! This is by far the greatest source of the cutest tidbits I've read all day. What fun! Why, how can I comment on just one! Ok, I have to say the garlic pumpkins rocked. Miss you, love you, and am so thankful for the simple joys in life.

Kim said...

What a fun post! You all look and sound like you are having a blast. I really enjoyed reading this. :)

Anonymous said...

Rhianna,

Thank you so much for your creative posts. I miss Thailand and your posts help.

Thank you for sharing your family with us all.

It also puts "cold" weather into perspective. LOL

love, helenH

Christy said...

So fun! So what was Emmy for Halloween? She looked fabulous.

I can't wrap my mind around ever going to a parent-teacher conference. I was trying to convince my playgroup mommies that school is still soooo far away for us ... they disagreed. :-)

I fear for the turtles in the mesh bag.


I feel certain that dude must make the best Pad Thai ever ... I'll just try not to think about animal faces being involved.

And I just want to reach through the screen and grab Julian up and squeeze him! Best smile ever!!!

Brea said...

Aw, now I really want to come visit you, for so many reasons, not the least of which would be authentic pad thai (I'd have mine without faces, too, please); and also to kiss Julian's sweet cheeks. And, conversations with three year olds are the best, aren't they?

abbiegrace said...

Oh, how sweet--love that comment from Asa to Tim. Priceless!