Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Dear Old Dog

It's 10 pm and this is what's hanging over the banister in the hallway...and Asa is sound asleep. Doesn't he look dejected? Very recently Asa's been fickle with his beloved Dog, at times saying he doesn't want him because "His paws are wet" (that would be a result of being chewed on by a certain little boy...), and then, holy moley, going to sleep without him! So it would seem that our little boy is beginning to grow out of his buddy. Makes me sad, but I guess it's time; there's only so long one can go around with a dog hanging out of one's mouth. I'm sure he'll still be needed at times for quite a while, but I think we've turned a corner. It's been fun, Dog. I'll keep you forever:)

11 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

how sad :) everett is no where near giving up his blanket that he sleeps with. we lost his bear a while back (at a gas station...tragic). but he's still got his blanket.

Crystal said...

Rhianna,
I was looking at your blog with Calvin and he immediately identified Asa's dog and said, "that's Asa's dog!" and then he said, "he licked me." Not sure where that came from!!! He's missing Thailand, he asked to go back today...I told him in a couple years. love you all and miss you

Anonymous said...

I remember a time when Asa told me that "dog" liked to have his paws chewed by Asa :)

Becky said...

Awww - how sad! He is such a precious friend. Is this the new(er) dog or older dog?

Kim said...

Poor Dog! You know Gracyn is 8 and still needs her ratty Bunny (Bear). She forgets him from time to time, but still wants to know he's around when she needs him. If she misplaces him for a day or two...the end of the world might occur. We thought of putting Bunny in a glass keepsake box when the time comes.

trmills said...

Becky- this is old Dog. New Dog never gained any acceptance. I should introduce him again with his dry paws...

Kim, I imagine it will be the same with Dog- he will probably still have an important place but not be a constant companion. I hope so, anyway!

Melanie said...

Wow! He's growing up. I guess we knew it would happen but while living in it, I could never imagine Asa without his dog.

Christy said...

I'm feeling depressed all of a sudden. Give Dog a pat on the head from me.

Brea said...

Oh, that makes me sad. Brennan hasn't been quite as deeply attached to heavy nana of late, either. Strange to think that they just outgrow these things.

LaNell said...

that makes me teary

Granna said...

makes me teary too! Please go put dear, faithful, velveteen dog in bed with his Asa.