Sunday, August 10, 2008

2 Years...Almost

Well, he won't really be 2 for another three weeks. But we decided, for simplicity's sake, to go ahead and have his two year old checkup before we leave Bangkok...

Here's our big boy waiting for his appointment. He had to take a quick break from playing on the waiting room playground for a picture. We found that it was harder to get him to sit still for a 2-year old checkup picture than it was for his 1-year old checkup...go figure!

And here the doctor is listening to his adorable little heartbeat. He was an amazing trooper during his appointment, going along with every aspect with good humor. When she rolled him over and gave him a shot, he didn't even cry, just looked mildly puzzled.

He weighs 29 pounds, which puts him in the 50-75th percentile for weight, and is 3 feet tall, which puts him in the 75th-90th percentile for height. Our doctor told us that you can double the height at 2 years old to get a general idea of how tall a child will be when he or she grows up...so she told us Asa will be 6 feet tall! We all got a good laugh out of that! At this rate, we'll truly be looking up to our children when they're adults!

A few fun almost 2-year old Asa facts:
-He is still completely attached to his dog, and he calls it "mii maa". "mii" is his word for please, and "maa" is Thai for dog. If we ever lose "mii maa", we're in serious trouble.
-He has a few regular Thai words, like "maa". Another is "bplaa", which means fish. He won't say dog or fish, only "maa" and "bplaa". He also says "my ow", (Thai for "I don't want it"), when he doesn't want something. So a common sentence might be "My ow mii maa Mommy" (I don't want Dog, Mommy).
-He always puts "big" in front of a number of words- anything to eat is a "big bite", any money is "big Baht" (which is Thai currency), fish are always "big bplaa", and a ball is a "big ball".
-He loves to look for "jinkjokes", the small Thai geckos that are everywhere. He can commonly be heard exclaiming, "uh-oh, jinkjoke!", and our Thai friends at church love to help him search for them. We have a couple of jinkjokes that live in our house, and sometimes we'll hear the one that inhabits the window area over the couch making his little gecko noises, much to Asa's delight. I wonder what little creature he'll find to be fascinated with in Georgia?
-He still makes sounds for lots of words- all animals (except for "bplaa"!), and he makes big exciting sounds for trucks and motorcycles.
-He's a big boy and wears undies all the time, except for naps and nighttime. We have an accident now and then, but love not washing all those diapers!
-He somehow seems to become more lovable by the day. I know I'm highly biased, but how very thankful we are for our boy!

And a bonus picture...the same day Asa had his appointment, Emmy had an immunization (which she met with her usual hysteria- bless her heart) and hearing and vision tests. A big day for our doctor-shy little girl! Here she is wearing cool 3-D glasses to check her depth perception. I'm very thankful to report that all is well with both her eyes and her ears- we thank God for good health.

6 comments:

Brea said...

My favorite Asa phrase, I think, is Big Baht! Too funny! I fear the creatures found in homes here aren't nearly as delightful as geckos!

At church today, I was amazed by the thought that you guys will be there next Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Good job Asa! You are doing exactly what you should be doing...growing big and strong and trying to figure out this world! Tell Emmalynn we are proud of her passing her sight test and surviving those mean old immunizations! My Emma does not like those either. We miss seeing all of you but we know it will not be too long beofre you will be here. I am sure you are busy preparing and packing. We will be praying for all of the details of your return and the long trip to get here.
Love
The Tindalls

Kim said...

So fun. I love the Big Baht too. That is what we said if something was expensive. You gotta pay big baht for that! Love it!!! The kids are adorable. Have a fun last week.

Craig and Gwen said...

1 week and counting before Asa can come and teach me some Thai!

I really don't like shots either - so way to go Emmy for being so brave!

Rhi - love you and thinking of you a ton this busy week and can't wait to see you!!!!!

Gwen

ErinM said...

I can't believe Asa's almost 2 and such a big boy! Kamu will be thrilled to have another kid his age around, and Asa sounds like such a joy and sweet child!

Hugs to all of you, but an extra one to Emmy--that's how both of my kids approach all shots.

Christy said...

I just love all the Thai he's using. Fabulous. And I'm really anxious to learn what sound a gecko makes. I'm certain it's much more exciting than "woof" and "meow" which is all we get around here.