Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Readin' and Writin'


We've just arrived home from a retreat in Malaysia, and it was refreshing. We'll write about it soon. I will say now that it was good to come back to Thailand. Tomorrow morning I head out in a taxi at 6:15 to begin language school! I'll take a taxi to the Sky Train, and the train to school. Tim will, meanwhile, get a good dose of fatherhood at home with the children all morning, then head to the office when I get home. A new and daunting adventure, but I'm excited and thankful for the opportunity to go.

This is Melanie, my new buddy and school-traveling-partner. Melanie just arrived in Thailand and I'm thankful; I can see that God has given me a friend in her. She makes me think in some ways of you, Nells (some mannerisms and the way she speaks and verbally processes), and you, Emily (great wit and a keen way of commenting on the world around her). So I am truly blessed!

This picture is from the day we went downtown to register. I was tested to see which module I should begin, and tested into module 3, where I'll begin the process of learning to read and write. I'm super excited about being able to decipher the squigglies all around me, as well as growing in my ability to communicate and relate. And, I purchased some intelligence-glasses for school. I've always wanted some fun, non-prescription glasses and I figured if I have ever needed a smart-boost, now is the time!

7 comments:

Brea said...

I noticed those glasses and wondered if you actually needed them...very fun and intelligent looking indeed. :)

keri said...

love the glasses. looking smart always helps! :) and so glad you have a new friend to join you in this new adventure of learning!

i look forward to hearing about the malaysia retreat!

Jean Joiner said...

glad you get to get out of the house for that time! i hope the classes go well for you.

Peamama said...

Very chic, Rhianna! Tim, I know Allen is jealous. He is looking forward to the day when his time with the kids is in longer stretches. Have fun!

Melanie said...

I'm also super excited to have a friend like you here. Someone who is "emotional" like me, patient with my confused self, and understanding of adjustment here.

PS...for all of you readers, her smart glasses are the coolest...but she was smart already. She helped me shop for furniture all by herself!

Christy said...

You are so cool! Those specs look great and will certainly help with squiggly deciphering. I always find that dressing for the occasion helps - I can sit around eating cookies while dressed in running pants and tennis shoes and somehow I feel that I'm burning calories.

Anonymous said...

I need an update. I miss reading about you and your adorable family.