Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Everyday

Just a few snapshots of this week...

We went tonight to meet some friends for dinner...this is a woman who cooks incredible pork satay in a roadside stand at the Sky Train station. Tim got to know her when he was in language school; first as a customer, then a friend, and finally a little brother (which basically meant she loaded him up with delicious food whenever she saw him and rarely allowed him to pay). It was her son's birthday, and it was fun, fun to get to meet their family!

This is a bonglang, a traditional Thai instrument, the latest obscure musical instrument in Tim's repertoire. It's been a big hit with the whole family.

Daddy likes to make Thai character practice on the white board, complete with cute pictures.

And this just made our girl's day. We went to Tesco Lotus, and they had a child-sized shopping cart. She put in her bear, Naam Plaaw (which means plain water in Thai), who was a gift from friends earlier in the day, and she was giddy with the fun of it all.
As you can see, Lotus has quite the selection of soccer balls (um, I mean footballs).

4 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

You give us such a great idea of life there! I love your blog.

I'll be praying for your trip in November. :)

Sammy said...

I love keeping in touch with you guys in this manner! Thanks for all the great pictures. And Rhianna, thanks for The Body Shop comment. How funny to know that you have one near you!

Christy said...

You guys are like somethin out of a really great book. A bonglang? Thai character practice on the white board? Making close friends with the whole family of a Thai woman you just met on the street? I love it!!!

... and I kinda want a bonglang ...

Anonymous said...

Hey folks,
I am with Christy what a story you have to tell.

Tim how about a vid of the bonglang in action?

... and I kinda want a bonglang also...