Sunday evening was definitely one of those "How in the world did I end up here?" experiences. Our preschool had its 'grand opening'...when a new home is purchased or a business begun in Thailand, there is often a celebration that includes monks spending time in blessing the establishment and a party where a lot of people are invited for a meal. This is the school's first year, so the celebration took place on Sunday. We went in the evening for the dinner, and I was doing double duty as both teacher ("khruu" in Thai) and parent. They even gave me an official snazzy blue jacket to wear so that I'd look like a respectable member of the staff. I had to stop and wonder at God's directing hand to put me in a place I would never have anticipated but am so enjoying.Here are some of the lovely women that teach and direct the school. I was introduced with the rest of the staff, and I went up on the stage, smiling and wai-ing, not understanding much of what they were saying. When I came back to the table, Tim said, "They said you went to Harvard! Did you tell them that?" Very funny. The rest of the evening we just enjoyed the festivities, which included a traditional Chinese meal (with the delicacy 'sharkfin soup') and Thai dancing, which is so very beautiful to watch.
And here's my favorite student in her special sporty outfit they wear on Wednesdays. We found out today that they do Thai dance on Wednesdays! She was showing us her moves tonight, and the cuteness was simply overwhelming.
9 comments:
Hey, we need video of Emmy's Thai dancing...
i was just thinking that i want to see video of this dance!! love the blue jacket, rhi...its so you! and isn't berry like the harvard of the south??! :)
oh, and thanks for the funny comment on my last post!!
Will preschool still be in session in three months time? If so, I'd love to meet your class!
Go Big Blue Go! You can still use the Berry Cheer!
I love Emmy's sporty outfit and will be holding vigil on my roof until video of Thai dance appears. And Rhi, you look smashing in that jacket, though I'm thinking you're the wild one in the bunch with your bright shirt - dress? - underneath unstead of the librarian blouse. :-)
what a great experience for you all to witness a blessing ceremony! May God richly bless your time teaching and allow His Truth to be known to those with whom you teach and to whom you teach! We continue to pray for Emmy!
It is so interesting and exciting, at all the ways God is using your MTW team to be a witness for HIM!
We continue to pray for you all.
helen henry
Tom and Christy, we'll see what we can do about a video...Christy, don't get on that really high scary part of the roof. We always thought Tim might very well fall to his death from there.
Harvard is great and all, but Berry is "the shrine of many a memory of the silver and the blue...our loyalty and love we pledge..."
Oh, and Brea, I think October is an off month, but we'll definitely go by!
Looking forward to seeing that Thai dance tribute by Emmy too!here in Texas, Y'all :)
And Rhianna looks darling in her "Harvard" jacket. Thats a great story.
Post a Comment